Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof® has been specifically designed and optimized for outdoor equipment to provide Durable Water Repellency (DWR) and ultraviolet (UV) protection. Unlike solvent-based products, which need to be applied to dry materials, Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof® can be applied to wet or dry fabrics. So if your equipment is wet there is no need to wait for it to dry before you treat it with Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof®.
Browse by Category
NIKWAX TENT & GEAR SOLARPROOF - 500ml
Tents and backpacks use synthetic fabrics, such as nylon or polyester, with a thin watertight polyurethane (PU) or elastomeric coating on the inside and a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating on the outside. This combination gives great strength and water resistance, combined with light weight; ideal attributes for outdoor equipment.
Unfortunately these fabrics are vulnerable to sunlight and in two weeks of continuous exposure, can lose up to half of their strength. Additionally, the inner coating will degrade if it is left damp for long periods.
Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof® protects the entire fabric, from the effects of both UV and water.
WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT:
Synthetic fabrics used for tents and backpacks are coated with a water repellent treatment. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light both destroys the water repellency and leads to a reduction in fabric tear strength, significantly shortening the lifespan of equipment.
The application of Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof® can double the effective life of equipment by protecting against UV damage, while also providing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) to keep the rain out.
WHEN YOU SHOULD USE IT:
To most effectively benefit from the ultraviolet (UV) and Durable Water Repellent (DWR) protection of Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof® it is best applied to equipment from new.
During use the equipment fabric will pick up dirt and other contaminants which stop water from beading on the fabric surface. When this occurs the DWR can be revitalized by cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Over time the DWR will wear off through use. Both the DWR and UV protection can be replenished by reapplication of Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof®.
HOW YOU SHOULD USE IT:
For best results always clean item(s) first. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.
- Protect working surface and lay clean wet item flat, or erect tent and wet.
- Spray evenly to outside of fabric. Avoid backpack straps.
- Wait for 2 minutes. Remove any surplus product with a damp cloth.
- Check carefully to ensure no areas have been missed.
- After several minutes check for and remove surplus product with a damp cloth*.
- Marks may appear on fabric if excess product is not wiped away. Test on a hidden area first.
- Use approximately 2fl oz (50ml) of product per 10ft² (1m²) of fabric.
- The coverage is approximate and depends on the condition of the fabric being treated.
- To maintain waterproofing always clean with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Do not use detergents.
- To waterproof cotton, polycotton or canvas use Nikwax Cotton Proof™.
- DWR and ultraviolet (UV) protection will develop once the fabric is dry. Allow item(s) to dry fully before packing away.